Re: [gtkmm] No gtkmm at GAUDEC?

On Sat, 2004-06-05 at 13:19 -0700, John Taber wrote:
> On Saturday 05 June 2004 12:51 pm, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > On Thu, 2004-06-03 at 17:20 -0700, John Taber wrote:
> > > It seems too bad that such a good product as gtkmm is not being presented
> > > at GAUDEC - would like to see it become the #1 language.
> >
> > You are free to present gtkmm at future GUADECs.
>
> I understand your point.  Here's my concern - as a software company we must
> base our products on a language / library that has a big following and
> support base.  We are considering switching our C++ based code to gtkmm and
> technically the combination of gtkmm, glade, and gtk+ seems very good.  But
> unlike Qt which has the whole KDE project using it, as well as Trolltech's
> support, I don't see the momentum for gtkmm being the basis for Gnome,

gtkmm will never be the "basis" for GNOME. The GNOME platform is written
in C, so that language bindings such as gtkmm can exists. You can't
expect everybody to rewrite their software in your favourite programming
lanuage just so you feel comfortable using it. Shall we rewrite GNOME in
C++ this year, in Python next year, and Java the year after that?

>  which
> might either stay C based or move to C# and Mono.

There is very very little possiblility of GNOME Platform APIs ever being
written in C#.

>   In which case gtkmm stays
> a small step-child, with a small following and small support base,

So far, people seem to be content with the support, or they would start
offering money for it.

> And
> gtkmm not having any cheerleaders at GAUDEC seems to reinforce that.

As with all contributions, you will do it yourself if it's important
enough to you. Are you even going to GUADEC?