Re: [gtkmm] using RefPtr out of Gtkmm

On Saturday 07 February 2004 3:45 am, Paul Elliott wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 07, 2004 at 12:25:11AM +0000, Chris Vine wrote:
> > Boost is the obvious choice for anyone looking for smart pointers.  Its
> > licence allows you do anything you want with it.
>
> Boost also has its own build system bjam. If you are using
> autoconf/automake/libtool what is the best way to intergrate
> boost libraries into your project? What compiler options to use
> and include directories, library files?
>
> What is the best way to procede with boost?

Internal dependencies, rather than the build system, is the big problem with
boost.  bjam works, and although by fiddling with the Jamfile in the root
boost build directory you can build only particular modules, in practice
because header dependencies are not documented, for any of the major modules
you will probably end up having to install all the boost headers in your
system, which are copious, or spend a lot of time trying to separate the
library out.  For example the program 'lyx' packages and uses the boost regex
and slot/signal modules (boost/lib/regex and boost/lib/signal), and to do
that also packages the whole boost header system (boost/boost).  However lyx
offers a good example of how it can be done, and how to integrate boost into
an automake based system.

Things are rather better with the boost smart pointers, because they are
implemented entirely with header files.  If you want to use the boost shared
pointer for example, you need package only boost/shared_ptr.hpp, the headers
included by boost/shared_ptr.hpp and the headers included by those included
headers, and so on, which is manageable (at least that used to be the case, I
have not looked at recent boost releases).

Chris.