Re: [gtkmm] using RefPtr out of Gtkmm

On Friday 06 February 2004 6:55 pm, Billy O'Connor wrote:
> Carl Nygard <cjnygard fast net> writes:
> > On Fri, 2004-02-06 at 12:34, Jose Felix Hernandez Barrio wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm developing an application that must use a smart pointer, and i have
> >> a few questions:
> >>
> >> 1- Is there any tutorial for refptr?
> >> 2- Can i use refptr out of gtkmm class hierarchy? must i derive my
> >> classes from any glib o gtk classes and add any functionality ???
> >
> > You can (and perhaps arguably, should) use the Boost lib smart ptrs.
> > They have a better chance of making it into the std library.
>
> GPL incompatible:
>
> http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-hackers/2003-10/msg00113.html

GNU say boost is incompatible with the GPL because its licence is too liberal
(boost requires that any author of code released as part of boost "must grant
permission without fee to copy, use and modify the software for any use
(commercial and non-commercial)".  For the boost licence policy see
http://www.boost.org/more/license_info.html.

As a result they will not include code using the boost library in the GNU
software directory.  So what?  The OP didn't indicate that he was interested
in having his application GNU approved.

Boost is the obvious choice for anyone looking for smart pointers.  Its
licence allows you do anything you want with it.

So what was your point?

Chris.