Re: [gtkmm] gtkmm 2.4 and gcc <3.2

On Tuesday 21 October 2003 1:13 pm, Matthew Walton wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 12:29, Murray Cumming Comneon com wrote:
> > If we use libsigc++ 2 in gtkmm 2.4, this will probably make it impossible
> > to build it with gcc versions older than 3.2. Does anybody have a violent
> > objection to that?
>
> Given the improvements in libsigc++ 2 which have been discussed over the
> last few days, I'd be quite happy with this. gcc 3.2 seems to have
> spread sufficiently now that it's not too much of a hardship to require
> it for building your programs - and it does make coding decent C++
> somewhat easier.

The hardship I suppose is that if someone is using a version of gcc earlier
than 3.2, instead of just installing a newer version of gcc (as you would
with C), when upgrading the compiler she also has to recompile all her C++
libraries because of the C++ binary incompatibility between 3.2/3.3 (which
are compatible with each other) and earlier version of gcc.

I suppose the issue is not what people on this list think, but on what users
at large think.  We are probably too small a sample to reach a view.  My
inclination would be to leave it for next time given the number of fairly
recent distributions with gcc-2.95.  However, I do not have an objection
which could reasonably be described as "violent", as probably not a large
number of users of such distributions will want to install GTK+-2.4/gtkmm-2.4
in any event.

Chris.