RE: libsigc++2 in gtkmm-2.4? (was: Re: [gtkmm] ANNOUNCE: glibmm 2 .3.0)

> From: gtkmm-list-admin gnome org
> Erm, is it possible to get a link to a place where I can find a
> "Rationale" for this lower case letter naming convention?

For whatever reason, it 's what the standard C++ library does. libsigc++ was
almost in boost and remains very similar to what is in boost. It's a good
idea to be as much like it and the  standard library because:
1. One day we might use the signals/slots feature in a future version of the
C++ standard library, instead of libsigc++. Don't hold your breath for "one
day". Please discuss boost v. libsigc++ on the libsigc++ list, if necessary.
2. If that happened it would be nice if the API change was as small as
possible.
3. If we contineud to use libsigc++, for some good reason, it would be nice
if the API was as much like the C++ standard library as possible, just like
Glib::ustring is like std::string.

> I really
> would like to know WHY anybody would go through all this,
> just to have
> lower case namespaces and classes. (Moreover I would like to know why
> at all lower case names!)

The are no plans to do this for gtkmm. libsigc++ is a small library and a
very small API.

> (I am ashamed to confess that I was DELIGHTED when I first saw the
> "Gtk" namespace: every class started with a capital letter!)

murrayc usa net