Re: [gtkmm] Custom TreeStore Problems

Murray Cumming Comneon com schrieb:
In this case, I am not convinced that enough research has been done to fix
the original performance problem. People don't seem to have this problem

Since it seems to relate to a tree being accessed by a sequential iterator to mimic binary search (this clearly is a problem) there is no way around that (besides adding a different style iterator (which exhibits the tree nature) to GtkTreeStore - this might be an option if this problem was more common). [I really should take a look into the glib representation behind GtkTreeStore]

Another possibility is that passing _boxed_ types around too much sucked on my performance. [column access being slow]

with GTK+, and Daniel didn't seem to have this problem with gtkmm in
regexxer. If someone can show that it's a gtkmm-specific problem then I
would like to investigate that.

perhaps the link below gives hints about that. To my knowledge the performance problems of this example had not been researched (it seems to be not pango, not treeview related (I have a patched version which fills first and then attaches)).

Basically, I like to isolate problems, put them in bugzilla, and fix them.

I agree, but after three days of profiling (I used sprof on (glib,gtk,gtkmm,pango-ft and -pg on a static variant of gtk,*mm) without _any_ real results I have no idea on how to isolate the problem further.

But ... this does not yet explain the problem mentioned on the gtk-app-devel list (see my previous post for the source). He did only append.
I seem to have lost that. Do you have a link to the archives?

of course (it's in my sent folder)
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-list/2003-March/msg00361.html

   Christof