Re: [gtkmm] Q: How to layout objects on a Notebook page

D. R. Evans wrote:
I have a very simple usage question. After spending several hours trying various things, all of which seemed reasonable to me -- but not of which worked -- I decided that it would put an end to my pain and frustration simply to ask the question here.

<snip>

For examples (with code) on how to lay out widgets I would suggest running the demo program that comes with the gtkmm download. Goto the location where you built gtkmm and run "demos/gtk-demo". This is where I start when trying to figure out layout.

Now, I'm almost 40 and my brain doesn't work the way it used to when I was learning all the neat things I could do with my TRS-80 model III. So, I also find it usefull to play around with glade-2 to figure out how to layout widgets. If you write code to place widgets, then you can see how Glade-2 does it, or better yet you might consider using libglademm to load the XML file.

One word of warning! DON'T use the FIXED layout to place your widgets! It's tempting (I fell for it at first) if you come from a MS background, but the fixed layout is of the Dark Side! Our project just changed from 800x600 to 1024x768 default layout for our windows, and it was a snap (just changed the high level windows only + minimal cleanup!).

Hope this helps you!

Jeffrey S. Gavin