Re: [[gtkmm] Alternate libglademm interface]

On  0, Christer Palm <palm nogui se> wrote:
> It should be quite obvious that this cannot be enforced at compile time
> without breaking just about every piece of existing code out there. I
> guess a warning would have been nice in an obvious case like that, but
> that's rather a GCC problem, isn't it?

No, this problem shows that this feature is bad and should be removed
in C++0x or completly redesigned (but I don't have any clue how)

exception-specification only increases the code-dependencies and
complexity without any real use. If there is really a wrong
exception thrown the program terminates itself in a very rude way.
Of course you should put into documentation what exceptions can be thrown
(if you knew it. With template Code this can be very complicated).
Of course it is important to knew what exceptions can be thrown
(and handle them at least with the catch(...) operator).

But I think this discussion is wrong on this mailinglist.
comp.lang.c++.moderated should be better for this.

btw. this could be interessting
http://www.boost.org/more/lib_guide.htm#Exception-specification

Regards,
Ruediger Sonderfeld <cplusplushelp gmx net>