Re: [gtkmm] ANNOUNCE: gtkmm 2.2.2

Murray Cumming Comneon com wrote:

From: Igor Gorbounov [mailto:igorbounov voronezh serw ru]
g++ -g -o test `pkg-config --libs --cflags gtkmm-2.0` test.cpp
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgtkmm-2.0
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
Well, I've got just the same compilation error message under anjuta-1.1.1! I've changed my gtkmm.spec file so, that it packed *.1 libraries file in a main .rpm file, and *.0 libraries - in .devel.rpm. The previous gtkmm package
was rpm, too, so it was cleanly uninstalled.
After that error I've deinstalled my gtkmm-2.2.2-1.rpm and devel.rpm packages and installed gtkmm in a traditional way (configure, make, make install). Now compilation of a test program is ok. So, what's wrong with those libraries? Mathias from freshrpms.net hasn't build a new rpm package yet, so I have
no ideas at all about building 2.2.2 rpms in a right way.
   Igor Gorbounov

So are you saying that there is no problem with the normal configure/make,
but only a problem with the rpm spec file? Could you tell us what distro you
are using and what version of libtool you have installed. I'm just trying to
gather data points to make sense of this.

I guess, Igor has been building test samples just from gtkmm source tarball, and their's Makefiles do not looking for gtkmm libraries with "pkg-config --libs gtkmm-2.0" nor "-L${prefix}/lib -lgtkmm -latkmm ...", but just use libraries by relative paths from sources that just has been built with configure/make.

Let him try "g++ -o test `pkg-config --cflags --libs gtkmm-2.0` <sample_file>", and see what happens then.

On other reply, I had no clue someone could take my reports as maden in ironic manner, my apologizes. I used gtkmm-2.2.2.tar.gz that was downloaded from sourceforge site mirrors, see reference in ANNOUNCE.

And last, when I used "autogen.sh" from CVS sources (repository gtkmm2/), I found that it generated configure file with lines like that: library_names_spec='${libname}${release}.so$versuffix ${libname}${release}.so$major $libname.so'

The same way configure file was generated for gtkmm-2.2.1.tar.gz source package. So, I could say there is no issues to report, you just have to update configure file in last source package, and if it is matter at all try to find why current configure file for 2.2.2 has those errors.

Regards,
-andrew