Re: [gtkmm] gtkmm 1.2 + gcc 3

On Thursday 06 March 2003 2:52 pm, Murray Cumming Comneon com wrote:

> > when i try to configure it, it is asking me for the
> > 'gtkmm-config' file,
> > which i don't think made it to verision 2.x of gtkmm.  so,
> > since i've been
> > running around in circles here trying to install the most
> > arcane versions of
> > compilers and various libraries, what is the real problem?? i
> > believe that
> > if i could get 1.2.9 to install, then i could use the
> > program.  i also
> > believe that it is possible, but could be wrong, to install
> > older versions
> > of gcc and use the '-version' or some similar flag to attempt
> > to compile
> > with that version of gcc.  do you have any idea what would be
> > a good version
> > for gcc to start with for compiling 1.2.9 of gtkmm??
>
> 2.9.latest, but you really don't want to mess around with multiple
> compilers.

libsigc++-1.0.4 and gtkmm-1.2.10 (the versions I use) compile out of the box
with gcc-3.2 (and on another machine with gcc-2.95.3).

The only thing to make sure of is that libstdc++, libsigc++ and gtkmm are all
compiled with the same major/minor version of gcc, because of the binary
incompatibility between gcc-2.95, gcc-3.1 and gcc-3.2.

The original poster has got himself tied up in knots, probably from trying too
hard.  If he sticks with the compiler which comes with his distribution for
all his C++ libraries he should be fine.

Chris.