[gtkmm] gtkmm 1.2 + gcc 3

> i've got gtkmm 2 installed and working just fine.  my problem
> is that i'm
> really wanting to try out an application that was built using
> gtkmm 1.2.9 .

So the first thing to do is to suggest to the maintainer that they port to
gtkmm2.

If someone can tell me how to autogen.sh gtkmm 1.2.9 on RH8 then I might fix
the problems for you. It might just be a matter of using versioned
autotools. Personally it's not a priority for me.

> when i try to configure it, it is asking me for the
> 'gtkmm-config' file,
> which i don't think made it to verision 2.x of gtkmm.  so,
> since i've been
> running around in circles here trying to install the most
> arcane versions of
> compilers and various libraries, what is the real problem?? i
> believe that
> if i could get 1.2.9 to install, then i could use the
> program.  i also
> believe that it is possible, but could be wrong, to install
> older versions
> of gcc and use the '-version' or some similar flag to attempt
> to compile
> with that version of gcc.  do you have any idea what would be
> a good version
> for gcc to start with for compiling 1.2.9 of gtkmm??

2.9.latest, but you really don't want to mess around with multiple
compilers.

Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net