[gtkmm] RE: Developing portable enterprise applications

Greetings Alessandro,

The company I used to work for began using wxWindows at version 1.68.  We
needed a crossplatform solution.  The ODBC classes originally included with
v1.68 did not meet our needs, so we wrote our own, which I later adapted and
the classes were incorporated as the standard ODBC classes for wxWindows.

The application did inventory management, order processing, receipt
processing, etc.  We never did have a customer that went with a Unix
solution, so we ended up being Windows-only.

The application had approximately 100 screens, all done using non-sizer
based dialogs (sizers didn't exist back then).  The database used ODBC to
support our primary targets of Oracle and SQLServer (and the classes as they
exist now in v2.4.x of wxWindows support a much larger number of DB
vendors).

The application was client/server.

When I left the company, we had a customer base of 350 customers (or at
least that many registered compies distributed...including freebies they
gave away with the machinery we sold).  Being multiuser systems, customers
had anywhere from a single workstation, up to 12 workstations (12 was the
biggest I was aware of, though in theory there was no limits on
workstations).

When I left, FastPicSystems was just releasing a new WinCE piece of software
written totally in VB.  All development using wxWindows was at a halt, as
the product using wxWindows was considered stable, and no customers were
interested in crossplatform versions, so development for the WinCE platform
and a stripped down version of the software did not need the overhead of a
crossplatform toolkit.

You can see the software/screenshots/literature on the product at:
http://www.fastpicsystems.com/docs/products/warehouse/fp4/index.asp

Hope this helps!