RE: [gtkmm] Questions and information

> From: Andrew [mailto:andrea sansottera fastwebnet it]
> Anyway, if forward compatibility does not have to be
> guaranteed, I do not see
> any reason to break backward compatibility between gtkmm 2.2
> and gtkmm 2.4...
> Even if new classes/functions has to be introduced, deprecated
> classes/functions should be kept in the API till gtkmm 3.0.

gtkmm 2.4 will be very API (source) compatible with gtkmm 2.2, but not 100%.
APIs need to change to avoid stagnation. That's not a problem as long as a
stable branch (gtkmm 2.2) is maintained at the same time as a development
branch. If we never broke API then we would be stuck with gtkmm 1.2 now.

Apart from the minor API changes to methods, some classes will be deprecated
in favour of new classes (e.g. the new combo widget). We could either mark
these with an #ifdef or move them into a gtkmm_deprecated library. That
would be easy to do.

Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net