RE: [gtkmm] Questions and information

> From: Cumming Murray (COMNEON Linz)
> gtkmm 2.4 will be very API (source) compatible with gtkmm
> 2.2, but not 100%.
> APIs need to change to avoid stagnation. That's not a problem
> as long as a
> stable branch (gtkmm 2.2) is maintained at the same time as a
> development
> branch. If we never broke API then we would be stuck with
> gtkmm 1.2 now.
>
> Apart from the minor API changes to methods, some classes
> will be deprecated
> in favour of new classes (e.g. the new combo widget). We
> could either mark
> these with an #ifdef or move them into a gtkmm_deprecated
> library. That
> would be easy to do.

And to spell that out even more, it's not a problem that gtkmm 2.4 has small
API breaks compared to gtkmm 2.2, because different versions of the API are
parallel installable (just like gtkmm 1.2 and gtkmm 2.2 are parallel
installable). You use the new API when you want, and it doesn't affect your
application until then.

Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net