[gtkmm] Re: target system dependencies - glibc problem

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 14:14:09 -0600, Peter Gasper wrote:

> Right now the problem is that my development system has glibc 2.3.1 and
> the target system(i586) has glibc 2.2.3.

I suggest that you set up a clean and conservative little compile-server:
The server should run reasonable up-to-date software (such as glibc 2.2),
but _not_ cutting edge versions. - And the server should have as little
installed as possible, so that you can be sort-of sure that your compiled
applications don't have subtle dependencies which are only satisfied on
your development host.

I bet that if you compile your application on such a build-host and then
run it from a either cutting-edge host or a host with more conservative
software, then things should probably work.

What could be a bitter problem: It seems that gtkmm programs cannot be
compiled statically (such that it doesn't matter if end-users have the
right gtkmm+gtk+whatever package set installed). Judging from this mailing
list, it seems that the problem is with the gtk libraries which for some
reason don't exist as static libraries :-(

/Troels