Re: [gtkmm] Cross Process Dispatcher

Richard Reich <rreich rdrtech com> writes:

> I'm currently developing a rather large application, that has a few
> other apps sending data to it.  I've implemented this via threads and
> using a Dispatcher to communicate the new data to the main GUI thread.
>
> This system is a bit kludgey and unnecessarily complex.  In about 4
> weeks, after a large "Dog and Pony show" my client is having, I'll have
> some major redesign time.  One of the things I may be planning is adding
> 2 things to the dispatcher.  I have not throughly thought these through
> so if I'm totally off base please feel free to tell me so.
>
> 1. The ability to use named pipes for interprocess communication.
> 2. The ability to have parameters for the Dispatcher.
> 	Glib::Dispatcher<int, bool, char> disp;
> 	disp.emit(1234, true, 'A');
>
> Is there anybody else doing this so I'm not reinventing the wheel?
> Would these features be welcome?

I've implemented the dispatcher-related stuff in libsigcx, altough
this is only inter-process (cross-thread). Please see
http://libsigcx.sourceforge.net. I will shortly release a new version
that includes a gtkmm example.

Regards, Andy
--
Andreas Rottmann         | Rotty ICQ      | 118634484 ICQ | a rottmann gmx at
http://www.8ung.at/rotty | GnuPG Key: http://www.8ung.at/rotty/gpg.asc

Make free software, not war!