Re: [gtkmm] porting projects from gtkmm-1.2 to gtkmm2

Chris Vine wrote:
On Wednesday 15 January 2003 4:20 pm, Murray Cumming wrote:

[snip]

As I said already, everyone has the choice to
a) Start a gtkmm_deprecated_widgets project.
  (I'm SERIOUS - if this is important to you then start it. If not,
please stop whining.)

[snip]

On any fair reading of my posting, I was not whining.  I was making a
reasonable point.  I think it depends if you are viewing things from the
perspective of the library user, or the library developer.

Chris.

I cannot agree more. I wasn't whining either. Information about what are the possible problems you could face when porting shouldn't be hidden in the name of loyalty, of course. There was a huge API break from gtkmm 1.2 to 2.0, and that affects any reasonably large program. It is obvious that applications should move forward, or you get zero support from the developers, who no longer know or want to know about the previous version. I say "fine, I understand your point of view", but there's no need to deny the truth. I wish you could say also "I understand your point of view".