RE: [gtkmm] How to implement the open menu item functionality to select a file?

I think you want a Gtk::FileSelector (in gtkmm 2.2) or Gtk::FileChooser (in
gtkmm 2.4). There is a simple example in the gtkmm tarball:
http://cvs.gnome.org/lxr/source/gtkmm/examples/book/dialogs/fileselection/

For gtkmm basics, I do recommend that you look at the "book":
http://www.gtkmm.org/gtkmm2/docs/tutorial/html/ch03.html

murrayc usa net