Re: [gtkmm] Gtkmm or Qt?

>2. Translation support, which it appears is generally provided by
>gettext in Gtk applications.  I'll have to look into gettext to
>see if the licencing is compatible with our software (non-free)

you should be OK here; the part of gettext that you link against is
LGPL'ed, though the tools are GPL'ed (this doesn't affect your app).

>and whether it does everything we need it to.  (For example
>we need it to have an elementary understanding of different
>grammars so that we can create phrases on the fly using parameterized
>phrases.)

gettext provides this by using a printf-like interface. if you want to
use C++ iostreams style statements, then use google to find
"ucompose.h", which allows stuff like:

	      cerr << compose (_("%1 is the first, but %2 comes later",
		     	         something,
				 something_else))
                   << endl;

thus allowing translation to (pardon the horrible example):

     _("in deesa language, %2 eesa first and %1 eesa second")

>3. Tools to facilitate generation of translations and easy maintenance
>of several different language interfaces.

gettext provides these.

--p