Re: [gtkmm] Should a C++/STL library conflict with gtkmm?

Paul Davis wrote:

> >> why would you use SGI's STL, when libstdc++ includes an STL implementation?
> >
> >Because of three reasons:
> >1. The SGI one is [better] documented, at least if compared
> >   to libstc++-2.9.0-30
> >2. my libstdc++ is old enough to not be able to compile
> >   gtkmm-1.2.10; if I export CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/lib/include/STL"
> >   before ./configure then it is buit correctly.
>
> i suspect this is indicative of some other problem on your
> system. many people have compiled gtkmm 1.2 with older gcc/g++ systems
> without problems. not sure, however.
>
> >3. The same for my library.
>
> you will find many, many benefits of moving to gcc/g++ 3.2. the
> improvements in the STL implementation in libstdc++ are just a small
> set of them.

Hi Paul, you were absolutely right! I can't remember
when I started to use SGI's STL-3.3 instead of the native
libstdc++-2.9.0-30's one, and neither why I did.

And I was wrong about the other thing: gtkmm-1.2.10
does compile with egcs-2.91.66 and libstdc++-2.9.0-30.

It was glade-- in a very recent version that, although
compatible with gtkmm-1.2.10, didn't compile without
SGI's STL.

I switched back to libstdc++'s native STL and now
everything is working fine. Thank you very much!

The conclusion: I recommend everybody: never change
only a subset of your compiler!

And if something similar, confusing, happens, try
this on a regular basis:

  my_mind -= all_the_pigeon_shit;

I'll never forget not to change only a subset of the
compiler...