[gtkmm] Help, Can't create subclassed window

Good day,

I recently released my first Gtkmm app baculator.bacwater.com.  I tested
it on my Solaris 8 development box and all works well.  However, I
recently installed linux (debian 3.0 with 2.4.18 SMP kernel) on one of
my other Sun machines (a dule processor SS20), and compiled all of the
Gtkmm2 libs and prereqs.  I am using gtkmm-1.3.21 and sigc++-1.1.13.

I then tested my app on this platform, the compilation went smoothly,
however I get a Bus Error (or a Seg Fault if I dynamically allocate the
window) uppon starting the app.

My program uses a class derived from Gtk::Window, just as in the
gtkmm_hello sample app (which BTW runs fine).  I have determined that
the error occures somewhere within the initialisation of the main
program window. If I replace the main window with a Gtk::Window it works
fine, excapt of course that none of the main window initialisation stuff
is actually called (and hence I don't have a real app).  Using GDB (with
which I am an ameture at best) I have found that the seg fault occures
in the Glib::ObjectBase::is_derived_ (this=0x0) function call. The fact
that this equalls null does not seam right at all and is probably the
cause of the fault.  My question would then be how did it get that way?
poking around with gdb I noticed these lines as being suspect (to my
uneducated mind):

(gdb) bt
#0  0x50534a08 in SigC::Control_::remove_dependency ()
   from /usr/local/gnome2/lib/libsigc-1.1.so.5

(gdb) bt
#0  0x50534a20 in SigC::Object::Object (this=0x0, __in_chrg=0) at
object.cc:110

This would indicate to me where the null came from, but I have no idea
really what is going on.

Am I looking in the right direction, or is this prefectly normal, and
the cause of the seg fault is really somewhere in my code?

Any help at further understanding what is going on here would be greatly
apprecieated.
Thanks.