Re: [[gtkmm] RPM .spec files]

On 02 Oct 2002 11:04:03 -0400, you wrote:

>One way or the other, we would need spec files in all tarballs for
>Gtkmm2/Gnommm2 and related libs. I looked at upcoming RedHat 8.0
>packages listing and was shocked not to see any trace of Gtkmm in it.
>Why? There is a C++ binding for ncurses.

Don't know but I can think of a number of possible reasons:

1) nothing else that Red Hat ships requires gtkmm

2) gtkmm was not yet close enough to being finished when the decision
as to what to include was made (which was way back in July when the
first beta release was made)

3) at some point Red Hat (or any other distribution for that matter)
has to draw a line and say no more.  As is Red Hat now takes up 5 CDs
(2.5 binaries, 2.5 sources) and those are pretty full CDs.

>On Wed, 2002-10-02 at 05:29, Murray Cumming wrote:
>> I think it's best to lobby distros, such as RedHat, to produce RPMs
>> officially.

The problem is that any given distribution doesn't have enough people
to provide packages for every program/library that is released for
Linux.