Re: [gtkmm] Re: [sigc] Building libsigc++ under Win32 for use with Intel C++ Compiler 6.0

At 06:46 PM 11/6/2002 +0100, Dirk Gerrits wrote:

> If you install the full cygwin, you might get conflicts with cygwin
> libraries when using libtool. An example I frequently encountered is
> the libintl and iconv libraries. When possible, libtool looks for .la
> files. Because libintl and iconv do not come with those .la files (or
> they are broken). libtool reverts to the .la files from cygwin -> you
> get a bunch of undefined symbols and other errrors at link time.

Ok, I'll just uninstall cygwin and start over. Just tell me *exactly*
which Cygwin packages I need to install.

You can install everything except libintl and libiconv (they are part of gtk+-2.0 on win32 : see your list below). Or, if you install them, remove the corresponding .la files (renaming them is maybe better) in /usr/lib.

 From the gimp site and your site I have:
atk-1.0.3-20020821.zip
atk-dev-1.0.3-20020821.zip
freetype-2.1.2-1-lib.zip
freetype-2.1.2-bin.zip
gettext-0.11.2-w32.bin.zip
gettext-dev-0.10.40-20020904.zip
glib-2.0.6-20020802.zip
glib-2.0.6.tar.gz
glib-dev-2.0.6-20020802.zip
gtk+-2.0.6-20020921.zip
gtk+-dev-2.0.6-20020921.zip
gtkmm-2.0.0-win32.tar.gz
libiconv-1.7-w32.bin.zip
libintl-0.10.40-tml-20020904.zip
libjpeg-6b-lib.zip
libpng-1.2.4-1-lib.zip
libsigc++-1.2.1-win32.tar.gz
pango-1.0.4-20020928.zip
pango-dev-1.0.4-20020928.zip
pkgconfig-0.13.zip
tiff-3.5.7-bin.zip
tiff-3.5.7-lib.zip
zlib-1.1.4-bin.zip
zlib-1.1.4-lib.zip
Can I ditch any of these, or are they all necessary?

All are required, except maybe the image processing ones (libjpeg, linpng, ...). Better to install them all.

Perhaps a step-by-step guide on getting started with gtkmm2 with Windows could be put up at the gtkmm2 site? I have some rudimentary Linux experience and I couldn't have figured things out without these mailing lists. How would someone without any Linux experience at all use gtkmm2 under Windows?

If gtkmm could be compiled with Visual Studio, things would be much easier on the user side. And we need a nice standard windows installer for gtk+-2.0 (and gtkmm-2.0) on win32 !!! Also, if somebody could try to compile (or to use my binaries) with mingw+msys, that would be great. Time to (re-)open a bugzilla entry, Murray ?

Cedric

P.S. : See also my other posts (my message to Jussi for example) for answers to cygwin/mingw problems