Re: [gtkmm] Talk about a major rewrite

>On Wed, 2002-07-31 at 04:02, Paul Davis wrote:
>> i stand as a counter-example who can
>> find almost nothing to complain about in gtkmm except missing wrappers
>> for a few rarely-used things.
>
>Please submit bugs. API freeze is on the way.

i haven't (and can't, due to time considerations) move to gtkmm2 with
my (main) app at this time. I have several things within it, however,
that will require gtk+ 2, so the move will definitely happen. as such,
i'm not submitting bugs in 1.2 because it doesn't seem worth it.

>> the implementation is a mess.
>
>I disagree. If you _needed_ to understand how we wrap the GTK+ object
>model you would soon figure it out based on our copious and repetitive

since i have wrapped several custom GTK+ widgets, i actually do need
to understand this. porting these custom widgets to GTK+2 and
rewrapping them is the major obstacle to moving to gtkmm2 for me.

>comments in the code. This criticism was valid for gtkmm 1.2, but gtkmm2
>has been developed very differently. Compare the ChangeLog and NEWS
>files for gtkmm 1.2 and gtkmm2 to get an idea.

my use of the term "mess" was cribbed from the original poster's
mail. its not the term i would use myself. i would say "not obvious"
and "complex". neither of these constitutes a negative in my book.

>I have submitted several bugs and patches to GTK+, without problems.
>They are a smart, helpful, bunch. I have had no problems with the GTK+
>people.

i agree entirely. i think they also have excellent long term vision,
and a sensible balance between what can be done "soon" and what needs
to be done long term.

--p