Re: [gtkmm] Talk about a major rewrite

P. Christeas wrote:
Hi all.
I'm just another programmer, writting programs with gtkmm. Last week I got desperate enough to send this e-mail. I have come accross a whole series of bugs and pitfalls of gtkmm. I think there is no hope of dealing with them, because many of them relate to gtk+ itself. My suggestion is to re-write gtkmm, so that it only has C++ code (and not wrap around gtk+). Since all gtk+ code is GPL'd, we can copy-paste that into C++ functions.

That's not good: any bugfixes they make, you have to convert to C++ and paste back in. That presumes that a C++-only Gtk is a toolkit worth producing, and that there are advantages from a pure C++ implementation, over a wrapper.

If Gtk-- adopted a usage pattern that is substantially different than Gtk's, two diverging source trees might make sense.

Which isn't to say that there aren't things in Gtk-- I for example really want orthogonalality. But Gtk doesn't provide that throughout, either. (I currently get around specific instances by wrapping the wrapper)

Two things I can suggest: take a look at FOX and ParaGUI (fox-toolkit.org and paragui.org), and get a feel for the functionality you'd like to have. They are both C++ GUIs under active development. Do some work with each, to get a feel as to it's response time, and your development time. Then you'll have a good metric on the C with C++ wrapper, versus "pure" C++. The desired extra functionality points would then be an easy-to-discuss list.

--
Bryan W. Headley - bwheadley earthlink net