Re: [gtkmm] Talk about a major rewrite

Paul Davis wrote:

> sure. but thats the whole point of gtkmm. if you want a true C++
> toolkit, use Qt or write a new one but don't go trawling on the gtkmm
> list with vague claims about how gtkmm sucks. as you point out karl
> and guillame both raised some similar points - nothing was done
> because its not part of the project's goals in any way. gtkmm is not a
> C++ toolkit. its a wrapper around a "fucked up OO C toolkit".
> no, its not completely outrageous. but the starting point should be "i
> want to write a really good C++ toolkit", not "gtkmm sucks, come with
> me and we'll write a better one, even though i can't explain what
> precisely is wrong".
> he didn't just ask us. he arrived, told us our work was crap and then
> asked us to join his (largely undefined) project that might replace ours.

I didn't mean to start a flame war, nor to underestimate the work you've been
doing so far.
The starting point is indeed that 'I want to write a really good C++
toolkit'. The core of Qt won't fit my needs (there is sth with its signal
flow implementation). I wouldn't expect to write a good toolkit in one nignt,
I couldn't write such a thing alone. That's why I thought of using the work
you 've done in gtkmm as a start. I mean that gtkmm is the closest available
thing to a good C++ toolkit (I like the way gtk and Gnome work).

The re-write of gtkmm (if implemented) will certainly be a separate project.
I have thought of 'gtkpp' as a name. However, both gtkmm and the new one
(gtkpp, say) can share the know-how and some design decisions. I'm talking
about mutual contributions.

At this point of discussion I don't expect to look into the code. That's why
I don't refer to particular bugs. My questions are:
- do the design pitfals constitute the need for a re-design?
- which features can't be implemented (easily) in gtkmm?
- who's going to help (he won't have to drop gtkmm, though)?

Everything is free and open around here. As long as nobody gets insulted
(blaming one's work is insulting), we can talk about anything.