RE: [gtkmm] Talk about a major rewrite

On Wed, 2002-07-31 at 14:48, Nuno Afonso wrote:
> I gave a glance to the gtk+/mm 2 documentation and it seems better, but
> there are some points not very explained very well (like the use of
> models to construct lists/trees.. and how to add rows and so on.. it's a
> little "messy"..

I guess you are talking about the TreeView chapter:
http://www.gtkmm.org/gtkmm2/tutorial/html/ch10.html
Please _tell_ us specifically about any part of the documentation that
is not clear. We can not guess everything.

Of course it's obvious that certain chapters have not been updated since
gtkmm 1.2, but some are clearly new chapters and I've asked for
feedback.

> The other thing that i didn't understand very well is the use of
> Glib::RefPtr class.. I looks like it complicated the API, did you choose
> to follow this path or is it a gtk+ heritage?

Again, tell us what part of this you don't understand:
http://www.gtkmm.org/gtkmm2/tutorial/html/ch16s02.html

The only thing that I don't like about RefPtr is the length of the
declarations - we have to add Glib::RefPtr< to the start of things.

Reference counting makes sense in _most_ places where RefPtr is used.
They are shared resources.

> I just have 1 questions about gtkmm:
> 1º why did you choose to implement gtkmm with the passing of objects and
> not pointers? (no big deal, just curiosity..)

C++ has references, so we use them. It means that you don't need to
check for NULL pointers. C uses only pointers because that's all C has.

murrayc usa net