Re: [gtkmm] retype() and retype_return()

> > I don't agree at all. It is not that hard to find interesting stuff,
and
> > it is absolutelly not necesary to understand how sigc++'s internals
work
> > to use the library. It is only necessary when you want to contribute
> > patches or maintain it.
>
> And that's the problem that I am trying to solve. You haven't offered me
> any other way to partially solve it, and you have not suggested any
> downside to my solution. The only downside that I can imagine is that
> the small number of people who want extra features need to install an
> extra library.

The reason I did not offered any solution is that I don't think any
solution is needed. If somebody want to contribute or maintain SigC++ he
will have to understand the core anyway. And then other classes are very
little problem. On the other hand you force common library users (coders
and end users) to install two libraries instead of one, keep them in
synch, and all that annoying stuff that can be very easily avoided. That
is no solution for me, it is adding additional layer of complexity.

> > Well, lets strip some not-so-often used Gtkmm's stuff then. Why not?
> > Little people use it, most of them won't even notice that. Move that
stuff
> > to Gtkmm_extra. I think it's a great idea ;)
>
> Gtkmm has a clear mandate - wrap GTK+. If it doesn't wrap GTK+ and it
> isn't useful then it isn't in gtkmm.

It was sarcasm if you didn't notice that.

> > Murray, this is becoming boring. Perhaps you just don't want to
maintain
> > it? Then quit it. I understand you don't have time to do all this
stuff
> > about maintaing sigc++, gtkmm, and many other libs. But stripping
lib's
> > functionality is definitelly not a good way to solve these problems.
>
> You are
> 1. Not offering to maintain libsigc++ yourself.

I'd gladly help, but I don't know SigC++ internals and I have no time for
that at all. Last mail from Carl is much the same I'd like to say myself.

> 2. Not saying what is wrong with the libsigc_extras plan.

What is wrong? _Everything_ is wrong in this plan. I still don't agree
with you that _any_ plan is needed.

Jarek

Na dobry poczatek dnia... >>> http://link.interia.pl/f1629