Re: [gtkmm] Qt, GTKmm and the next X11 (Berlin)?

> Does anybody feel the need of a better X 11? I'm thinking in particular to

A better X11?  Absolutely.  I just don't think Berlin is the "better X11".

There's a hackish appeal in saying "let's rewrite X11 the /right/ way," but
really, that's sort of like saying "let's rewrite the C++ standard the
/right/ way."  In any mature, Real World software project, 90% of the
barnacles exist because of some freaky Real World condition that needs those
barnacles.  Look at Mozilla's coding guide as an example.

When people propose replacing X, I generally have three questions:

1.  Why does X suck for your purposes?  Do you have facts to back it up, or
is it just rumor and myth?

2.  Why is it better to replace all of X than to patch these few problems?

3.  Is replacing X worth all the millions of man-years of end-user testing,
and tens of thousands of man-years of development time, that you're throwing
away?

... As soon as someone can give good answers to those three questions, I
think there'll be a favorable reception for an X11 replacement.  But until
then, I'm happy with X11.