[gtkmm] Problems with installing gtkmm 1.2.10

Hi,

I've been having some problems with installing gtkmm 1.2.10 on my system.
When I run ./configure, I get the following message:

---
checking for libsigc++ - version >= 0.8.5... 1.0.4
checking if libsigc++ sane... (1.0.3) no
configure: error: Libsigc++ is required to compile Gtk--. If libsigc++ was
installed
but no found to be sane,  most likely you have not placed the
/usr/local/lib path in the library config file and run ldconfig.
---

I have installed libsigc++ and have ran make check to make sure it has
been installed properly.  I'm not sure on what this error message means.
Have I missed a step in my installation?

I'm currently using gcc 3.0.2.  Would that be the cause of the problem?

Thank you,

-Pauline