Re: [GtkGLExt] API changes for the next major gtkglext release (glext)

On 01/11/2010 04:38 PM, Mukund Sivaraman wrote:
On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 02:51:06PM +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
On 01/11/2010 01:32 PM, Mukund Sivaraman wrote:
On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 01:36:47AM -0500, Arc Riley wrote:
There is no license issue.  GLEW is under the BSD, at worse you include the
BSD boilerplate in the header and copy/modify their headers.  It's fully
compatible with both v2 and v3 of the LGPL.
We cannot combine code that has a similar license to the BSD license
(non-copyleft), with LGPL licensed (copyleft) code.
Most BSD licenses are compatible with the [L]GPL, i.e. such kind of
code could be relicensed using the [L]GPL as an "umbrella license".

Whether we could do so would require careful examination of these
BSD licensed pieces of code, because some BSD licenses are
considered non-free (Cf. http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/index_html#GPLCompatibleLicenses).
I'm not a lawyer.
Neither am I, .... it's just that I am long enough into OSS and involved into major projects doing so to be pretty sure about it ;)

This is my interpretation of the license as it
applies to the generated wrappers that we distribute under the LGPL.
The generated wrappers are not a verbatim copy of the published ext
headers, but a derived work.  I am not sure if we can simply take
something under a BSD-like license and re-distribute it under LGPL.
May-be there is a misunderstanding?

Let me try to elaborate: One can't "relicense" BSD code in the sense of "replacing their license with the [L]GPL", but many of BSD-ishly-licensed files can be added to [L]GPL'ed works and the "whole works" be licensed under the [L]GPL.

It would mean the "package as a whole" would be [L]GPL'ed ("umbrella"), because the [L]GPL is more restrictive license than most BSD-licenses, while individual files inside of the package would still carry their individual BSDish, [L]GPL or else licenses.

Ralf