Re: [GtkGLExt] API changes for the next major gtkglext release (glext)

On 01/11/2010 01:32 PM, Mukund Sivaraman wrote:
On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 01:36:47AM -0500, Arc Riley wrote:
There is no license issue.  GLEW is under the BSD, at worse you include the
BSD boilerplate in the header and copy/modify their headers.  It's fully
compatible with both v2 and v3 of the LGPL.

We cannot combine code that has a similar license to the BSD license
(non-copyleft), with LGPL licensed (copyleft) code.

Most BSD licenses are compatible with the [L]GPL, i.e. such kind of code could be relicensed using the [L]GPL as an "umbrella license".

Whether we could do so would require careful examination of these BSD licensed pieces of code, because some BSD licenses are considered non-free (Cf. http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/index_html#GPLCompatibleLicenses).

You can link in between these, such as a program linking to a library,
but not form a single binary object from it, such as a .so containing
both LGPL and BSD licensed code.

Pardon, but you are in error. There are many precedences of "adopting BSD-licensed code under a [L]GPL umbrella - Most prominent example would be glibc.

More importantly, GLEW and gtkglext overlap in more ways than glext.h.
There's enough dependency bloat in the Gnome community, not to mention
redundant functionality taking up valuable memory and causing cache misses
that hurt performance.  GLEW is barely enough to constitute a full library
in any event.  That's one less dependency to worry about.

gtkglext is a simple way to get an OpenGL context for a GTK+ widget. It
is not an OpenGL convenience library.  It is not intended to:

  o Provide a scenegraph
  o Do input handling, window management, etc.
  o Draw geometric shapes
  o Provide convenience wrappers for GL/GLX/etc.

Agreed. I am also not excited about this proposal.

Ralf