[GtkGLExt] Best way to render text in an OpenGL DrawingArea similar to renderText in Qt Opengl module?

Hi,

I notice that the Qt version of opengl has a renderText method for writing
text to display in an opengl widget. Do we have anything similar for
Gtk and the opengl drawing area? What is recommended? Any sample code that
I could use. I am displaying medical images and would like to show
the patient name and image number and date of examination around the
image such as a CT scan.

Thank you,
Mitchell Laks