Re: [GtkGLExt] gtkglext or goocanvas?

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 7:13 PM, Mitchell Laks <mlaks post harvard edu> wrote:
> On 17:47 Wed 30 Apr     , z pekar gmail com wrote:
>  > No, I meant what I said - draw an ellipse upon an image and have the
>
>  LOL!
>
>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipsis
>
>  ellipsis (plural ellipses; from Greek 'omission') in printing and writing refers to a mark or series of marks that usually indicate an intentional omission of a word or a phrase from the original text. An ellipsis can also be used to indicate a pause in speech, an unfinished thought or, at the end of a sentence, a trailing off into silence (aposiopesis).
>
>  ellipses is the plural of ellipsis.
ok, ok - at least in the second email I got it right - ellipse in
singular (what is its plural btw.?)

>  > ability to trace mouseclicks on this ellipse (like a normal button
>  > widget drawn upon an image just ellipse instead). As far as I know
>  > goocanvas can do it, my question is: can gtkglext do it?
>

>  I have no idea what you mean. And I speak both hebrew and english fairly
>  fluently.
Hebrew and English? 2 languages?... - not bad for an American... but
nothing to be proud of for an European or an Israeli ;)

>  I  think what you mean to say is
>  "I meant WHAT I MEANT,"
sounds like a tautology to me

>  NOT
>  "what I (or you) said"!
and the phrase "I meant what I said" (or "what I wrote", to be more
accurate) should make the reader take the words mentioned before
literally without any personal interpretations

>  Certainly you can draw an ellipse in OpenGL. There are even glut
>  functions for conics.
>
>  The more important question is:
>
>  What in the world do you mean by:  'trace mouseclicks on this ellipse'??
>
>  What is this word 'trace'?
>
>  Do you mean count?

I mean, I should be able to react(by calling a callback) on a click
made on an ellipse and I should know which ellipse it was - just like
in a regular gtk button - I want to attach a callback to an ellipse...

>  Do you mean count the  number of clicks "within the area subtended by
>  the ellipse" or clicks "on the ellipse itself".
well, both...

>  (Recall in mathematics, an ellipse is the locus of points in a
>  plane such that the sum of the distances to two fixed points is a constant.)
>
>  To count clicks you are asking a basic gtk question on low level events.
>  Ie at the gdk level - see the Pennington gtk/gdk book.
>
>  Ie: you will have to enable low level mouse click events and then
>  capture them if they meet  your perimeter critera.
>
>  to enable events if you use a
>  drawing_area
>  then you use the drawing_area set_events method
>  to include button-press-mask etc.
thats exactly what goocanvas is for(as far as I understand) - it deals
with low level mouse click events and checks whether it meets
perimeter criteria so that I can work with such an ellipse as with a
normal gtk widget - I surely do not want to implement all this stuff
myself - I'll better take goocanvas. The question is - do I have to or
maybe gtkglext also offers such functionality.

>  I have been using gtkglext with perl lately,
>  and here is a typical gtk2 perl tutorial
>
>  http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=583578
>
>  it does not use gtkglext but it could.
>
>  I use gtkglext with perl for similar stuff to display medical images
>  and draw on them. While I don't count mouseclicks - I need to be aware
>  of them :).
it is exactly what I need - I have to mark with ellipse certain areas
on an ultrasound image and then be aware of clicks on those marked
areas.

>  If you  want code for gtkglextmm or gtkglext and mouse events
>  just combine drawingarea and standard gtk code for mouse click events.
>  drawingarea is the simplest interface to low level gtk events. look
>  up scribble tutorials for gtk.
I didn't understand - do you use gtkglext for this kind of things or
do you take drawingarea?
And, if it is not a problem, could you, please, provide a sample of
code where you display medical images and draw on them.

תודה רבה
Meshulum Laks