Re: [GtkGLExt] Module proposal: GtkGLExt for GNOME 2.22 (fwd)

Hi,

I have to disagree with you. By integrating it to Gnome, it will "lock" it to the Gnome desktop in the mind of many people. If they are not using Gnome, they would tend to think that the OpenGL extension is only available on (or working with) a proper installation of Gnome desktop. Although I am using Linux 90% of my time, I am thinking of Windows and MacOS X users. We need to be sure that the OpenGL extension is easily available on any platform where GTK works.

As for Windows, GTK works great. I have been using GIMP and Inkscape on using it on Windows machines without any stability problems.

I don't understand what prevent us from integrating OpenGL support directly to GTK.

In my quest of a toolkit that integrates OpenGL, I found that some programmers tend to discard GTK from their list of toolkit because of the lack of integrated OpenGL support.

Regards,

Stéphane Brunet

Gerald Butler a écrit :
Howdie,

I think having gtkglext as a supported Gnome package is a great idea. The ultimate goal should be to integrate into Gtk proper, but, why not start with making it a Gnome dependency first and work from there.

I am just beginning my forays into Gtk and OpenGL programming. I'm a fairly experienced developer (including C) otherwise.

I'd be willing to assist with the maintenance of gtkglext should it become a Gnome package (and even if not).

Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Right now, I'm in England (Southampton) on business, but, when I return to the States in a couple of weeks I'm planning to spend a good bit of time working with GtkGlExt and Gtk proper.

Kind Regards,

Gerald E. Butler