[GtkGLExt] Getting started with PyGtkGLExt?

Hi all

I am having some problems with getting started using pygtkglext.

I have downloaded the pygtkglext package and attempted to build it from
source. I did a ./configure followed by a make and a make install. The
files went to /usr/local.

Then I 'cd examples' and try to run the example, but there is a problem
with the python path.

I tried the following but it didn't work:
john roadwork:~/pygtkglext-1.1.0/examples$
PYTHONPATH=/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gtk-2.0 python teapot.py
Fatal Python error: can't initialize module gtk.gtkgl
Aborted (core dumped)

I thought that maybe it might be essential for me to install this
package into /usr rather than into /usr/local. So I threw caution to the
wind and typed

sudo make uninstall
./configure --prefix=/usr
make
sudo make install

But still it fails:

john roadwork:~/pygtkglext-1.1.0/examples$ python teapot.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "teapot.py", line 13, in <module>
    import gtk.gtkgl
ImportError: No module named gtkgl

Finally, just to be sure:

PYTHONPATH=/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gtk-2.0/ python simple.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "simple.py", line 19, in <module>
    import gtk.gtkgl

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Would be much appreciated. If
someone can sort me out, I'd be happy to document my findings on the wiki.

The above was with the current tarball downloaded from SF.net, using
Ubuntu 7.04, which has Python 2.5 and GNOME 2.18.1. FWIW I have K3D
running with no problems on my machine, so I believe that gtkglext is
currently and correctly installed.

Cheers
JP

P.S. there seems to be no pygtkglext provided in Ubuntu, and the version
in Debian doesn't work on Feisty due to Python 2.4 dependency. If you
have someone who knows the mysteries of debian packaging, an ubuntu
package would be much appreciated!