[GtkGLExt] gtkglext gdkglpixmap-win32.c pixel format issues still unresolved?

First I installed this binary http://www.bonifazi.eu/appunti/gtkglext-win32-1.2.0.exe to check out gtkglext on Windows.

I clicked on a few examples and noticed that not all of them work, most notably the pixmap and pixmap-mixed simply show on screen as empty black boxes.

I tried to compile the above examples with MSVC++ 2005 Express Edition, but as far as I can tell the above package has no .lib files only .dll.a files that I have no idea what to do with (the MSVC linker didn't like them), so I downloaded the source (not a CVS checkout) and started my own gtkglext MSVC project to build some libraries for testing.

After making my own gtkglext libraries and building my own pixmap example against them, I got the exact same result (a black box).

I then started to step through the program to get a better idea just what was breaking... it turns out that ChoosePixelFormat() and SetPixelFormat() weren't providing acceptable results for my system.

Like this guy: http://www.nabble.com/Pixmaps-on-WIn32-t1712104.html
I too was getting a 'returned 1: "Incorrect function."' and as far as I can tell the thread simply died with no solutions to the problem.

I found this: http://www.groupsrv.com/computers/about122929.html but don't know if will be of much use to anyone.  The guy did run into another 'incorrect function' problem related to opengl pixel format problems.

Out of frustration, while experimenting with my own code I tried simply changing:

pfd.dwFlags &= ~PFD_DRAW_TO_WINDOW to pfd.dwFlags |= PFD_DRAW_TO_WINDOW

because the option isn't mutually exclusive to PFD_DRAW_TO_BITMAP.

Well that at least 'worked', but I'm unsure if that is correct or breaks other parts of gtkglext.  ChoosePixelFormat()/SetPixelFormat() are happy afterwards and I get my sphere in a white square.

I also noticed that my glconfig can't use the GDK_GL_MODE_DOUBLE option, or this too will break my acceptable pixel format.

The platform with this problem using gtkglext-1.2.0:
Windows XP
Gtk 2.10.13
Nvidia GeForce4 MX 440 pushing a dual display (at different resolutions)

So my question is, is there an open ticket or someone out there working on this problem?  Is it even a recognized problem?

I considered the distribution of broken binaries unhealthy for an open source project...

~Thanks