[GtkGLExt] compiling gtkglext from source on Solaris 8

Forgive me if this is a common question, but I didn't find anything on this after attempting a few searches in the mailing list archive.

This system is using glib/gtk packages from http://www.blastwave.org/ (an Open Solaris community site).

Today I tried to compile the gtkglext-1.2.0.tar source on an old Solaris 8 machine.

After the ./configure and a make, the build process gets pretty far, but around:

Making all in X11
rm -fr .libs/libgdkglext-x11-1.0.lax
creating libgdkglext-x11-1.0.la
egrep: syntax error
egrep: syntax error
egrep: syntax error
(about twenty more times)
Making all in gtk
ranlib .libs/libgtkglext-x11-1.0.la
egrep: syntax error
egrep: syntax error
egrep: syntax error
(about twenty more times)
Making all in m4macros
rm -f gtkglext-1.0.m4 && cp gtkglext-1.0.m4
cp: Insufficient arguments (1)
Usage: cp
*** Error code 2
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target 'gtkglext-1.0.m4`
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target 'all-recursive'
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target 'all'

So there are at least two egrep syntax errors and a cp error within the script generated by ./configure on Solaris 8.

I'm not a autoconf or m4 macro expert, but I would not be surprised if the GNU egrep is different than the egrep Solaris is using, but the website http://www.k-3d.org/gtkglext/Main_Page#Platforms  currently lists UNIX and UNIX-like platforms.

Solaris isn't listed, but I hoped it would be close enough... should I look for a GNU egrep package for Solaris?

What did people have to do to build it under IRIX and Mac OS X?

Ideas/suggestions?

PS

I've compiled everything on my personal Ubuntu computer and am very impressed with GtkGLExt as a whole.

~Thanks