[GtkGLExt] How to only update at screen refresh rate?

Hello! Apologies if this question is misdirected, as I'm somewhat new to
gtk in general. Is there a recommended way of writing my app such that
the expose event is only called once per screen redraw? Right now it
seems like I'm looping and doing a lot of extra work (and getting 1000s
of FPS) when I really don't need to be. I searched through the gtkglext
examples as well as the gtk docs and couldn't find anything that seemed
relevant. Thanks!
			...Eric