[GtkGLExt] how to use multiple gl windows?

Hi.
I'm writing a 3d chess game for gnome and I want the
user to be able to play or view multiple games at the
same time.  I'm having trouble figuring out how to
store only one copy of the pieces and board objects,
and use these over and over for each window that's
opened.
I'm new to open-gl and pretty new to gtk altogether.
I had concieved of a kind of client-server model where
the "server" would store the pieces and the "clients"
would access these objects to draw their particular
game states, but I can't get visuals in more than one
window at a time, in other words, when I start a new
game (window), the visuals all move to that window,
and the previous window becomes blank.
I'm guessing that I need to use the share-list
parameter to gtk_widget_set_gl_capability, but I guess
I haven't figured out the right order to call things
in.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
walter