Re: Version GtkDatabox-0.9.1.0 released, new maintainer, RFC

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 09:46:45PM -0400, Brian Phelps wrote:
> Thanks, I did not know that.  I do not intend to introduce any major
> API changes, like removing or changing api's, but adding a few minor
> features should not break past versions, and therefore not be a major
> API change, or is it? I don't really know, I am new to this.
>
> My fear is that people see its version and think that it is beta
> quality.  Its definitely not.

libusb is at 0.1.12 now but is a standard lib de-facto.
I would personally hold the horses a little bit more.

About different bases for log format.
Out of curiosity where do you need log2-scaled graphs?
Log10 is a standard (engineering and scientific) logarithmic representation.
Once I thought that natural logarithm would be usefull but this was
in Origin where I fitter exp decay in logarithmic scale with linear function.
If it was a natural logarithm then the reverse coefficient is exactly
the decay constant and coefficient itself is a resonance [half]width.
But I can't imagine where such a scales could be usefull in a general
plotting widget as gtkdatabox.
Just imagine how would you represent ticks in nat logarithm scale?
e, e^2, e^3, ... How much is that, say e^4? Or e^{-3}?

> On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 8:48 PM, Jim George <jimgeorge gmail com> wrote:
> > Hi Brian,
> > Thanks for taking up ownership of the project. My only comment about
> > going to version 1.0 is that the API should be stable. I understand
> > that pre-1.0 software is allowed to do this, but hopefully, once the
> > API is frozen at 1.0, the next major API change would only occur at
> > 2.0. My 2 cents.
> > Thanks
> > -Jim
> >
> > On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 6:31 PM, Brian Phelps <lm317t gmail com> wrote:
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> Two announcements:
> >> First of all a new version of gtkdatabox has been released, version 0.9.1.0
> >>
> >> [snip]

Ok, I will keep in mind to update the FreeBSD port...

Just my 0.02$,
Alexey.