Re: color depth change

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 10:53:56AM -0300, Jonh Wendell wrote:
> Em Qua, 2009-09-30 às 14:40 +0100, Daniel P. Berrange escreveu:
>
> > One further thought occurrs to me - the enum of possible depth values has
> > the first member as
> >
> >    VNC_DISPLAY_DEPTH_COLOR_FULL = 0,
> >
> > So no matter what the VNC server is configured todo, we will request full
> > colour. I think its probably a good idea if our default setting is in
> > fact to just use the server's preferred format.
> >
> > We could do this quite easily with your patch by inserting a new value
> >
> >   VNC_DISPLAY_DEPTH_COLOR_DEFAULT = 0
> >
> > as the first elememt in the enum and in the method
> >
> >    gboolean on_get_preferred_pixel_format()
> >
> > in the switch statement case for the VNC_DISPLAY_DEPTH_COLOR_DEFAULT simply
> > do not update any of the fields in 'fmt' - which leaves them initialized to
> > the server's default values.
> >
> > Thus by default we'd get the server's preferred  format, but we can still
> > also explicitly override it to full/medium/low/ultralow.
>
> The problem here is that we do not support anything but true color.
> That's why we had on_get_preferred_format() in first place, so that we
> change the format to true color, which we can handle.

Oh right I forgot that - i think it'd still be worth having a separate
VNC_DISPLAY_DEPTH_COLOR_DEFAULT though - it future proofs us in case
we do decide to implement non-true colour depths natively later.

> So, what do you suggest to do in such cases? Force it to FULL COLOR
> (just as we do today)?

How about for VNC_DISPLAY_DEPTH_COLOR_DEFAULT we do:

   if (server fmt is true colour)
       .. use default server fmt...
   else
       .. do same as VNC_DISPLAY_DEPTH_COLOR_FULL fmt..

Daniel
--
|: http://berrange.com/     -o-    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dberrange/ :|
|: http://freshmeat.net/~danielpb/    -o-   http://gtk-vnc.sourceforge.net :|