Re: [gtk-vnc-devel] Thoughts about widgets

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 11:22:41AM -0300, Jonh Wendell wrote:
> Hi, folks.
>
> I was wondering why vncdisplay widget destroys itself. Isn't up to the
> container destroy its children?

It doesn't destroy itself directly - GTK widgets are reference countered.
The VNC display object increments the reference count when the coroutine
starts, and decrements it when the coroutine exits. This last action
may or may not actaully destroy the widget - it depends on whether
the parent container has already released its own reference.

We need the reference counting, because if we didn't have it, then the
container could destroy the widget while the coroutine is still running.

Dan.
--
|: Red Hat, Engineering, Boston   -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|