Re: [gtk-vnc-devel] PATCH: Fix crash in OpenGL scaling code

On Fri, Mar 07, 2008 at 08:18:58AM -0800, Rob Stoddard wrote:
> Yes, it would fix that problem.
>
> I ran into another problem which this widget brings to light, a problem
> with gtkglext which has to do with colormaps.  It happens rarely, but a
> quick and dirty fix for the problem is to set the environment variable
> (either before calling the program,  or in the program with a putenv()
> call) GDK_GL_NO+STANDARD_COLORMAP=1.  The problem is a BadColor error
> that causes X to stop working with any gtkglext program until it is
> restarted.  Like I said before, this is not a problem with gtk-vnc, it's
> a problem with gtkglext.  The first time I have run into it was with
> this widget, however, so there is something that this widget does to
> trigger this issue.  What it might be, I have no idea.

I've hit this now too. I've not figured out just what's going wrong but
basically there's a property on the root window specifying a default
colormap which is getting set to a bogus value, for unknown reasons.

You dont need to re-start X though - just run

  xprop -remove RGB_DEFAULT_MAP -root

It hit me when I tried to connect to a regular VNC server running at
16bpp. That may have just been co-incidence though - need to investigate
it more.

Dan.
--
|: Red Hat, Engineering, Boston   -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|