Re: [gtk-vnc-devel] Mouse pointer patch, take 2

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 11:15:20PM -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> Rob Stoddard wrote:
>
> In general, I'm not a big fan of this approach.  You're achieving a
> couple notable things.  I do think we should scale the cursor image but
> I think we should do it by pre-scaling an image and setting that as the
> cursor.  GTK will handle drawing the cursor for us if necessary.  I'm
> not really concerned about having hardware accelerated cursor.

Yes, I agree that we should use a real cursor rather than drawing it
ourselves.

> In terms of supporting the warping encoding, I think we need to make it
> optional and disabled by default.  The problem is that a malicious (or
> broken) server can trap your cursor by constantly warping.  You can
> disable the richcursor encoding without disabling tight which should
> address your use-case FWIW.

If we're going to warp, then to take account of the possiblity of running
multiple VNC clients, we'll need to have it only apply the warp when the
VNC widget has input focus. That should let multiple clients co-exist.
We might also want to consider a flag to indicate whether it should always
be allowed to warp, or whether to only allow the warp when the pointer
grab is active. In general I agree this should be disabled by default
too.

Dan.
--
|: Red Hat, Engineering, Boston   -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|