Re: [gtk-vnc-devel] disconnect signal

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 10:47:21AM -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:
One thing I do want to add though is a 'error' signal which would be emitted
whenever anything goes wrong in the client (ie anywhere the code which sets
the has_error flag to TRUE). In particular this signal would include some
kind of info about what failed - perhaps just the 'strerror(errno)' data or
a message generated by our own code for some semantic error eg "Unsupported
protocol version", or "Supported authentiction method", or 'Remote server
closed connection". Would a general 'error' signal solve the issue you want
to address ?  The 'error' signal would of course be immediately followed by
the 'disconnected' signal too.
Dan.
Indeed again, but, in this case, the 'disconnected' signal is useless in
my opinion.
I agree with Dan. I think simpler semantics is always better. Disconnected doesn't necessarily mean error.

I was about to ask for a 'auth error' signal, but this 'error' signal is
more generic and i think it solves my problems.
I don't much like the idea of an "error" signal. It means that you end up with a catch-all handler.

You definitely want a separate authentication-error signal. For the case where the server prematurely closes the connection, and unexpected-end-of-file signal or something similar would be useful. Note that an unexpected EOF is not the same as disconnected.

I looked at this and there is not currently any easy way to distinguish
between a regular shutdown (from vnc_display_close/gvnc_close) and an
unplanned shutdown (remote server closes / protocol error), so I've not
addressed this.

Yeah, the it would require some refactoring.

The attached patch does however add a 'vnc-auth-failure' signal so you
can explicitly handle that common scenario. It also adds a vnc-desktop-resize
signal that Gerd previously requested.

So as not to delay the release further I'd say we go with this for now and
I'll investigate if there's a way to add separate useful signals for detecting
more interesting shutdown / error conditions.

Sounds good to me.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Dan.