Re: [gtk-vnc-devel] auth patch

On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 11:52:48PM -0300, Jonh Wendell wrote:
> Hi folks.
>
> Here is the initial draft for the authentication on gtk-vnc.
> Well, i'd like to comment it here, but it's too late and i need to
> sleep :)

I'm not sure I like the way the auth stuff is handled here. You are
requiring that the application choose the desired auth scheme prior
to calling gvnc_go(). How can the app choose a suitable auth scheme
if we haven't asked the server what auth schemes it supports yet ?

The kind of thing I think may work better is that 'gvnc_new' runs
the protocol upto the point where server has sent back its list of
supported auth types. It then emits a signal 'auth-choice' passing
the list of auth types as parameters. The application can listen
for this signal decide what auth todo, and then call 'gvnc_auth'
to continue the protocol. If it was a traditional auth type, after
finishing auth it would emit a signal 'auth-result' either failed
or success. Alternatively if the app choose VeNCrypt as the auth
type, we'd have to emit a second signal 'subauth-choice' again
passing a list of support auth types given by the server. The app
chooses the sub-auth type, and then runs gvnc_subauth() finally
emitting an 'auth-result' signal too.  Once the app has a successful
auth-result, signal received it can call into  gvnc_run() to do
the main event loop.

  1.  gvnc_new()
        - Emits auth-choice signal with list of schemes
  2.  gvnc_auth(scheme)
        a. Emits auth-result  with boolean / message
        b. Emits subauth-choice with list of schemes
  3.  If doing subauth  gvnc_subauth(scheme)
        Emits auth-result with boolean / message
  4.  Upon a auth-result, gvnc_run()

Regards,
Dan.