Re: [gtk-vnc-devel] gtk-vnc trouble

On Wed, 2007-08-22 at 17:43 +0200, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> >> Number one and most annonying is the i18n keyboard problem.  My app used
> >> to simply send us keysyms unconditionally.  Hackish, agreed.  Worked
> >> reasonable well though, with the exception of keys not presend on us
> >> keyboards.  Doesn't work any more as the keyboard handling is now in the
> >> widget source ...
> >
> > Not sure what you mean by  'send keysyms unconditionally' ? Do you need an
> > API for injecting fake keysyms to the widget ?
>
> No.  I had a hard-coded table "keycode -> us-map keysym" and used that
> to send us keysyms to the vnc server no matter what keyboard mapping the
> client machine has.

Since we're getting X keysyms, I'm surprised there are issues with i18n
keyboards.  There is no translation happening in gtk-vnc.  Is the issue
that the server has a different locale than the client?

Regarding the scancode VNC extension, I am interesting in doing a proper
one.  The QEMU changes are just low in my queue right now.  If you're
interested in doing an implementation, I can help out.  It's pretty low
in my current queue so I won't get to it for a few months.  We have a
client and server message reserved and enough psuedo-encodings.

> >> Next problem is that the vnc_display_set_*_grab() functions seem to have
> >> no effect.  Any hints on that one?
> >
> > They ought to be working - the gvncviewer demo program uses them to control
> > whether pointer grab occurs or not. The default is not to grab pointer or
> > keyboard. Setting grab pointer, implies grab keyboard. It'll grab upon first
> > pointer press. If merely doing keyboard grab it grab keyboard on mouse enter
> > and ungrab on mouse leave of the widget.
>
> I see it grab all the time and vnc_display_set_*_grab(widget, FALSE)
> doesn't turn it off.

I've been meaning to look at this code myself.  In particular, I think
that the cursor is being set to invisible even when it shouldn't be
(when mouse mode == relative and mouse grab isn't active).