Aw: Re: Adding Glib::IO to the released modules

Dear Emmanuele,

I fully agree with you. It would be great, if Glib::IO could be released. The manual making of the
Glib::IO-binding "on the fly", as oldteecha described, is a very good workaround. I use it myself in several
simple projects without problems. But the best solution would be a simple "use Glib::IO;".

We discussed this some time ago on the list. But I think, there was nobody, who could maintain the Glib::IO
module. Jeremy Volkening and I worked a little bit on the module. But we had not enough time to make it
release-ready. And in my case, I don't have the competence to really maintain such a complex module!

The only problem I noticed with Glib::IO was, that GIO reads and writes files in raw bytes format, which
means everything is passed on without any encoding/decoding. For compability with perl strings one have to
convert the bytes (= pure digits) to a bytestring without encoding and then to decode this bytrstring in the
utf8 encoding format. The following two lines was for example for th Glib::IO::File::load_contents method:
$content = pack 'C*', @{$content};
my $content_utf8 = decode('utf-8', $content);

I tried to fix this (see https://github.com/jvolkening/perl-Glib-IO/pull/1) for the relevant methods in the
Glib::IO::File part. But I don't know whether this is a good solution for the problem. I decided that the
decoding task (the second command) furthermore has to do manually because perhaps somebody needs another
encoding. Perhaps you know a better solution? In any case it would be great if you could check the patch and
merge it before releasing...

If I could, I would like to help you. But I have not the skill and moreover at the moment the time to really
help.

Nevertheless thank you very much for your work!

Best wishes,
Max