Re: Tooltips don't appear every time while hoovering over a widget

hi;

On 2 March 2014 16:07, Thomas Funk <t funk web de> wrote:

I'm developing a module to simplify Gtk2 widgets for rapid GUI
development in my project (Fvwm-Nightshade).

I do it with the Gtk2::Fixed container because of the xy positioning
possibility. A widget call looks like this:
#$win->add_button(   Name => 'closeButton',
#                    Position => [310, 350],
#                    Size => [80, 40],
#                    Title => 'Close',
#                    Tooltip => 'Blafasel');

Now to my problem. Some of the widgets have a tooltip function but not
all. For those I use Gtk2::tooltips but run into the problem, that the
tooltip won't show or only at the borders of a widget.

don't. GtkTooltips has long since been deprecated, and should never be
used in newly written code:

    https://developer.gnome.org/gtk2/stable/GtkTooltips.html

you should simply set the tooltip through the
Gtk2::Widget::set_tooltip_text() method (or set_tooltip_markup()
method, if you want to use Pango markup in the tooltips).

the page for the tooltip API is here:

    https://developer.gnome.org/gtk2/stable/GtkTooltip.html

it allows you to create custom tooltips, with complex contents (like
images) and to listen to specific coordinates (for instance, if you
have a custom canvas). unlike the old GtkTooltips API, the tooltip API
allows you to set tooltips on complex widgets like Gtk2::TreeView.

if you experience similar issues with the tooltip API feel free to
open a bug against the GTK+ product on https://bugzilla.gnome.org.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--